Monday, July 9, 2012

BIRTH STORY


One month ago today, you made your fashionably late appearance into this world, and momma couldn't be more excited for your arrival. Holding you for the first time was perfect, it was more than perfect, I had been anxiously waiting for this moment for what seemed like forever. Doctors told me for weeks that you could come any day, but you weren't ready. I waited and waited, and walked up and down our street daily hoping to go into labor. Cramping was the only thing that seemed to result from all that exercise. Daddy bought momma an exercise ball and insisted I bounce to get things going. Nada. No contractions. Finally my doctor suggested that I be induced.

The night before you were scheduled to arrive momma and daddy din't get any sleep. We restlessly lay awake until 2:30am, when we finally decided to just get up and wait. You kept running through my head. What would you look like? How big would you be? Would you have my lips? My chin? Then on Saturday, June 9th at 7:30am momma and daddy headed to the hospital hand in hand. When we arrived the doctor informed us that we should meet you by dinner time. Things went a little quicker than planned. Our morning went a little like this:

8:00am Started Pitocin to get my contractions going
8:48am Having contractions but didn't even know it
9:17am Dilated 5cm
9:30am Still no contractions
9:47am Water broke
9:52am First contraction
10:11am Wanting an epidural
10:12an Anesthesiology is in surgery
10:26am Epidural
10:44am Epidural not working
10:59am Epidural still not working
11:00am Nurses frantically setting up room
11:03am Your heart rate slowed with every contraction
11:14am Epidural had numbed my right foot
11:15am Started pushing
11:26am Unwrapped the cord from your neck
11:29am There you were, in momma's arms


You definitely made it by dinner, in fact you were there rather unexpectedly by lunch. When I first held you, all I could think is how I had longed for this moment for 9 months, and I didn't want it to end. I didn't want to share you with anyone, I just wanted to snuggle. But the nurses had to take you for a moment to ensure that there was no damage from the cord. When I finally got you back I just kept thinking "You are perfect." Your cheeks were round and soft. I couldn't stop stroking them. You had long curly toes and big puffy lips like daddy. You had momma's hands. And surprisingly you looked a lot like your handsome big brother when he was born. You had thick long auburn hair. Oh that hair, the nurses couldn't get enough of your luscious locks.You were a healthy 9lbs and 2oz, just like Gage. Daddy worries that the competition has already begun. You were 20.5 inches. You were mellow and lovable. perfect.


A month ago today you made my life even more perfect.



No comments:

Post a Comment